We all own at least one pair of jeans, if not a few. It’s a comfortable and exceptionally versatile garment that can be styled in many different ways, making it an essential part of any wardrobe. Still, not too long ago, this garment was reserved for weekends or extra casual environments, and wearing jeans to work was considered a major fashion faux pas. But as the pandemic has changed many of our rules of engagement, including work rules and dress codes, jeans have started becoming more common in all places suggesting this cherished garment is not going out of style any time soon.
Now, this doesn’t mean you should just throw on any pair of jeans and head to the office as if it were a Sunday afternoon. Wearing jeans to work and styling them to create chic work outfits for women still requires a few considerations. And, of course, specific rules depend on your particular work environment, but generally, you want to look sophisticated while also wearing your beloved jeans. Read on for a very simple guide to help you choose and style the best jeans for work, no matter what day of the week it is.
Choose the right silhouette.
The cool but tricky thing about jeans is that they come in all shapes and sizes. There are straight-cut, skinny jeans, wide-leg jeans, and mom jeans, just to name a few. And with so many different options to choose from, it’s normal to feel a little overwhelmed, but don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
- Stick to the classics: we all love a good trend, but you can never go wrong when you stick to classic jean styles. If you want to play it safe, which is surely something you might want to do when choosing an outfit for a professional environment, stick to classic denim silhouettes such as straight-leg or high-waisted jeans.
- Skinny jean lovers, listen up: Although you can definitely wear skinny jeans to work, there is such a thing as jeans that are too tight. As a general rule, you want to steer away from the skin-tight fit of jeggings and choose stylish but flattering skinny jeans instead.
- How low can the waist go? Remember, choosing jeans in a professional environment also means you should avoid showing too much skin and opt for more tasteful styles instead. While low-rise jeans may be having a comeback, the office is probably not the best place to rock this style. Favor high-waisted styles!
- Ripped jeans are not the best idea: Don’t get us wrong! We love a great pair of jeans with holes in the right places, but this style screams casual weekend vibes and is probably not a safe bet for the office.
Play with color.
Another essential thing to consider when choosing the perfect pair of jeans for work is the color or wash. As it tends to happen with such a versatile garment, jeans come in a wide range of colors. Here are a few tips you should consider:
- When in doubt, choose dark jeans: Jeans in a dark wash can often give you a more polished look, doubling as pants. Think deep indigo denim or a pair of jeans in a black wash.
- If you can, get creative with color: if your office is on the artsy side, consider wearing jeans in colorful washes such as green or purple. This might sound a little out there and far from office-appropriate, but if you pair these garments with the right blouse, jacket, and shoes, they can actually come together and bring a bit of fun to your work looks.
- What about white jeans? Although some people say white jeans only work for hot weather, they’re always a good option for the office, especially when paired with amazing accessories, white jeans can be a bit more casual than pants, but still give you that sleek and put-together look you’re probably going for.
Aim for balance.
Since jeans already bring a somewhat informal vibe to your outfit, you want to make sure you still find the right business attire and look office-appropriate by striking a balance with the rest of the garments you wear. This means finding the right top and the right jacket!
- Favor button-down shirts: cool, classy shirts can do wonders to complete an ensemble with jeans. Think of a lovely white button-down shirt with a pair of ice-blue wide-leg jeans or a striking printed shirt with a pair of black jeans.
- Beautiful blouses for the win: the right blouse with jeans can also be the key to the perfect business casual office outfit. For instance, a stunning silk blouse or a dazzling blouse with ruffles are both fabulous options to make jeans go from casual to chic in seconds.
- Blazers are a no-brainer: if you need to dress up a pair of jeans, one of the easiest ways to do so is by choosing a crisp blazer. There are hundreds of colors and designs to choose from, and the blazer/jean combo is truly the ultimate casual business attire duo.
- Consider cover-ups & kimonos: this may sound a bit out of the box, but, believe us, cover-ups and kimonos are a really chic alternative to jackets that can elevate a jean look in a seriously fashionable way!
Accessories make a big difference!
When thinking about how to wear jeans to work, choosing proper accessories makes a major difference. And we’re not just thinking jewelry-wise. When putting together work-appropriate outfits, think about selecting the perfect shoes, scarves, and a stylish handbag too.
- Heels and jeans, a match made in heaven: a stunning pair of heels can easily dress up even the most casual pair of jeans! The right heels can also be an opportunity to add a classy pop of color to a monochrome outfit or tone down a bright look by going with black or nude heels instead. Pro tip: high-heels look incredibly chic with wide-leg denim.
- Choose comfortable but chic flats: if your work entails running around all day and high heels are simply not an option, there’s no need to worry at all! There are plenty of comfortable styles to choose from. Ballet flats are always a good idea, as are slides or booties if the weather is especially cold!
- Keep it simple: another important rule to keep in mind when it comes to wearing jeans to the office is, don’t overdo it! Instead, choose one or two accessories that elevate your look. You can’t go wrong with a silk scarf, and a structured handbag is also great to add instant elegance to an otherwise informal look.